Reference Management Tools
Making a simple bibliography
There are several free online tools that can help you with referencing. If you need to make just a few references we recommend Zotero Bib. This is a free and simple tool to make a bibliography from your list of sources.
What is a reference management tool?
A reference management tool will:
- capture your sources as you find them on the internet
- help you to organise and save your sources
- insert citations in your written work
- create a bibliography
Do I need a reference management tool?
- Do you have a large piece of writing to do?
- Will you need to use lots of different sources?
- Do you sometimes forget where you found a quote?
- Do you find writing your bibliography time consuming or difficult?
- Do you sometimes need to switch referencing styles?
- Would you like to refer back to your sources at a later date?
- Are you prepared to spend some time setting up a system for saving your sources so you can save time later when you are writing?
If you answered yes to three or more of the above then a reference management tool could help you.
Which should I choose?
We recommend several reference management tools. Click on the links to find out more about each one and how to set it up.
|Reference Management tool||Key Properties|
|Refworks||Free for Falmouth University students and staff. Simple to save library resources.|
|Zotero||Free, Open source software.|
|Mendeley||Free. Owned by Elsevier, links well to scientific journals.|
Free for University of Exeter students and staff.