Get an overview of complex topics through accessible sources e.g. video, TV, podcast, simpler book or discussion with friends.
- Have questions in mind.
- see Critical Thinking
- SQ3R method.
- Read in short bursts (stay focused).
- Keep checking it makes sense.
- Be prepared to read texts several times.
- Reading text out loud.
- Tinting the screen.
- Changing font, spacing and size.
- Learning to speed read.
- Annotating texts.
Take smarter notes
- Re-format texts as bullet points, mind maps, diagrams or audio notes.
- Make quotations stand out from your words.
- Use abbreviations.
- Make glossaries of new words.
Build your vocabulary with this online tool which gives synonyms, definitions and pronunciations of words.
OpenDyslexic is a font which some people with dyslexia may find easier to read. Works with Chrome and Safari.
Chrome extension which will lets you tint your screen and add a reading ruler.
Use Immersive Reader in Word, Outlook and OneNote to read text out loud, change the font, spacing and background colour and use a reading ruler. Watch the video to find out more.
Selection Reader is a simple Chrome extension which will read aloud any text you highlight in webpages when using the Chrome browser.