Get an overview of complex topics through accessible sources e.g. video, TV, podcast, simpler book or discussion with friends.
- Have questions in mind.
- see Critical Thinking
- SQ3R method.
- Read in short bursts (stay focused).
- Keep checking it makes sense.
- Be prepared to read texts several times.
- Reading text out loud.
- Tinting the screen.
- Changing font, spacing and size.
- Learning to speed read.
- Annotating texts.
Take smarter notes
- Re-format texts as bullet points, mind maps, diagrams or audio notes.
- Make quotations stand out from your words.
- Use abbreviations.
- Make glossaries of new words.
'Bionic reading' Chrome extension which makes parts of words bold. This helps guide your eyes and stops you losing your place when reading.
Build your vocabulary with this online tool which gives synonyms, definitions and pronunciations of words.
OpenDyslexic is a font which some people with dyslexia may find easier to read. Works with Chrome and Safari.
Chrome extension which will lets you tint your screen and add a reading ruler.
Use Immersive Reader in Word, Outlook and OneNote to read text out loud, change the font, spacing and background colour and use a reading ruler. Watch the video to find out more.
Selection Reader is a simple Chrome extension which will read aloud any text you highlight in webpages when using the Chrome browser.