Making a simple bibliography
There are several free online tools that can help you with referencing. If you need to make just a few references we recommend Zotero Bib. This is a free and simple tool to make a bibliography from your list of sources.
What is a reference management tool?
A reference management tool will:
- capture your sources as you find them on the internet
- help you to organise and save your sources
- insert citations in your written work
- create a bibliography
Do I need a reference management tool?
- Do you have a large piece of writing to do?
- Will you need to use lots of different sources?
- Do you sometimes forget where you found a quote?
- Do you find writing your bibliography time consuming or difficult?
- Do you sometimes need to switch referencing styles?
- Would you like to refer back to your sources at a later date?
- Are you prepared to spend some time setting up a system for saving your sources so you can save time later when you are writing?
If you answered 'yes' to three or more of the above then a reference management tool could help you.
Which should I choose?
We recommend several reference management tools. Click on the links to find out more about each one and how to set it up.
Refworks free for Falmouth University students and staff. Simple to save library resources.
Zotero free open source software.
Mendeley free, owned by Elsevier, links well to scientific journals.
Endnote free for University of Exeter students and staff.