Know your audience
- Think about who this is aimed at and what they already know.
- What is the key message you want to put across?
- Structure your talk.
- Always have an introduction and conclusion.
- Don’t put too much text on your slides.
- Keep images, graphs, tables clear and simple.
- Make sure the visuals support what you are saying.
- Label images/graphs appropriately and acknowledge sources.
- Never apologise.
- Most people need to speak up and slow down.
- Act confident and you will be confident.
- Write down key points – do not be tempted to read from a script.
- Practice lots (out loud) so you can keep to the time limit.