Your Academic Liaison Librarian provides subject-specific support with your research.
We can help you to make best use of the Library for your studies.
For University of Exeter students.
Everything you need to know about using the Library and finding suitable information for your assignments. LibGuides are specfic to your subject.
Begin by looking at your module resource lists
- Module resource lists
- Once you find a useful resource, look at its reference list as this will lead you to other sources.
Know your resources
- Use the subject guides on the Library website as an index to key material for your topic.
Go beyond Wikipedia
- You can use it as a springboard for your research, e.g. for context, references and keyword ideas.
- It is an encyclopaedia – so don’t cite it!
Researching is different to just searching
- You’re not looking for an answer.
- Instead you’re curiously exploring your topic.
Research is a slow process!
- It can feel messy and meandering in the early stages.
- It’s good to allow time for your initial ideas to develop and change.
- Reflect on chance discoveries and explore connected ideas.
Keep track of what you find.
Use a system or app for collecting and organising your research like:
Ask for help!
- Drop in for help with your research.
Evernote/Evernote Web Clipper
Save, organise and annotate images, webpages, photos, scans and files and sync across all your devices. Online, app (iOS and Android) and extension for Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Edge.
Chrome extension which finds legally-available free copies of journal articles.