Getting a Diagnostic Assessment

Reasons to have a full diagnostic assessment

  • You might have always wondered whether you had a learning difference.
  • You might need it as evidence if you want to claim the DSA (Disabled Students’ Allowance).
  • You might need it to justify reasonable adjustments on your course.

Where to get an assessment

Some conditions, such as autism, ADHD and dyspraxia can be assessed on the NHS but waiting lists tend to be long. You will need a GP referral for these.

Educational Psychologists can assess for SpLDs but tend to be very expensive. A less expensive option for dyslexia (and sometimes dyspraxia and ADHD, depending on the assessor’s qualifications) is a specialist teacher assessment. This usually costs upwards of £350, so it is a good idea to have some screening to help you decide whether it is worth it.

Find a qualified assessor near you

Visit the Patoss Tutor index and register (free). You can then search for assessors in your area. Make sure to tick the box ‘Only show tutors who hold an APC or are a registered psychologist’. An APC is an Assessment Practising Certificate. If you want to claim DSA (Disabled Students’ Allowance) you need an assessor with an APC.

Check with the assessor that they are qualified an experienced in assessing for the SpLDs which you are concerned about, as well as their fees.

Some assessors offer full diagnostic assessments online.